|
This story is a continuation of the Biweekly published on June 21.his story is a continuation of the Biweekly published on June 21. By 2003 only the unused Dean Mill building and storage building remained at the junction of Washington Street and Depot Street, and something needed to be done with the property. There was a plan to restore the site that included moving the mill elsewhere on the property, renovating the mill for office space, restoring the historic interior and exterior, restoring the dam and raceway (channel with current of water that turned the mill wheel) and finally to add a closed system carwash near the intersection. This plan would have been funded with state and federal tax credits, private funds, and Community Preservation Act funds requested in Article 7 at Town Meeting. The article did not pass. Eventually the building was torn down. The once busy mill site was no more. The diagram below shows the development of the Dean Mill site 1903-1925. Buildings were extensive and many industries operated there. Life goes on and time cannot stand still, but it is important to know the past, and every once in a while, we need reminding. Once upon a time this site was a lonely outpost in a town that didn’t yet exist with a humble mill that harnessed the power of the Queset. If only Clement Briggs and Thomas Randall could see it now.
Anne Wooster Drury For Sources, see the June 21st Bi-Weekly Comments are closed.
|
Author
Anne Wooster Drury Archives
January 2026
Categories |